Thursday, November 18, 2010

Love Unconditional

We've been doing a parenting study with our small group about 10 Bibilical traits that "our kids will thank us for." It's in a format where you see all types of parents and children that are ultimately dealing with the same issues. While it's been one of those "thank God it's not just my kids" moments many times watching the DVD, it's also really made me examine how I am instructing and shaping my children. That last session we watched really focused on unconditional love. Of course I know that I love my kids unconditionally, but do they know that? When I yell at Jenna for yet again having an accident in her pants and basically saying it's your fault your behind is irritated now...when she isn't moving fast enough to get her shoes on...when she's playing with Ava but then closes the door on her fingers??? And then I wonder why she tells me the other day, as I'm doing my hair and makeup, that she needs to put some makeup on too and do her hair because it's not good enough. What?? Where on earth did she get that idea? Did someone else tell her that? I proceeded to tell her that she is beautiful and doesn't need makeup to make her "better". But I also understood that she wanted to just because I was. So I gave her a little brush of light finishing powder and let her put some on. Hearing my child say that in some way she isn't good enough breaks my heart. But even as I'm typing this tons of my own responses to her "messing up" are coming back to me. I tell her I love her all the time, and she tells me too. But watching that last study session really challenged me show my kids that they are my joy, they are wanted, they are loved. It's not to stay that I won't get angry, because that still happens often and kids have that affect at times, but I rarely follow-up with loving words or display forgiveness as I know I am forgiven by my Father daily!! Time and time again I realize that my remaining calm sets the tone for their behavior throughout the day. When I am flustered, easily angered and annoyed, yelling, short and rude, can I really be surprised when that's how Jenna acts? The only difference is, I can punish her for it. Now I do believe God has granted me authority over my children, but how quickly I forget that He is my authority. I feel hypocritical to continually be telling her to speak nicely, to not talk back, to look at me when I talk to her when I don't display the forgiveness, acceptance, grace and unconditional love that God has covered me with. He is our safe-haven, our shelter. We have this confidence in Him and can, therefore, trust Him with our security and welfare. I want to display that and instill that in my children. He designed and created me to be their mother, no one else. How will I use that blessing, that authority? Will I rise to the challenge today or just get through the day?

"The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; 'Great is Your faithfulness. The LORD is my portion,' says my soul, Therefore I have hope in Him." -Lamentations 3:22-24.

2 comments:

  1. Amen and Amen! Loved it, needed it, great post. Funny how we haven't discussed this or anything, but I have TRULY been feeling the same thing with G. I have started telling him (when he's being bad) how special he is to God and to mommy and daddy and that we want him to be the best Gabriel he can be, and that this behavior is not the best he can be. Rather than - STOP IT! GET DOWN! Look what you did! Etc. Its hard, especially at the end of a long rough day. I'm with ya! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Such fresh insight! I really wish I was able to go through that study with you guys.

    ReplyDelete