Monday, November 1, 2010

Anti-union?

Saturday was a crazy day cleaning, taking care of the kids, trying to get out of the house to meet friends. First I will say that my husband is the best at helping with the kids and around the house. When we first got married I told him that I grew up with the house rule of whoever cooks doesn't have to do the dishes, and he said he was fine with that. Yay for me because he never cooks! And with all these pregnancies and when the babies were newborns I had legitimate reasons to not do heavy lifting, cleaning, etc. because I would get dizzy, couldn't carry laundry up and down the stairs, etc. Another yay for me over what has been the majority of our 5 year marriage. So I would hand off chores, and Lance would take them like a champ. I have to admit he spoiled me! He does some kind of dishes every day and is great with the laundry. I usually do the kids', but since he runs through clothes so quickly with going to work, the gym, showering and changing again, he is always doing ours. I try to get areas of the house cleaned during the week so that we don't have to pack it all in on a Saturday, but this particular weekend we had been letting things go during the week and just wanted to get everything done.

I used to be really particular about the cleaning but with him so willing to help, I try not to complain too much. He would probably say otherwise, though. So anyway, Lance likes to take a lot of sports/couch/coffee breaks when we're trying to get things done, which I hate because then things really won't get finished. My philosophy is to just keep going, get it done and not have to worry about it. Lance had started laundry, cleaned our bathroom and vacuumed all but the nursery. I was rearranging the nursery, taking Ava's old crib apart to go out to the garage and cleaning the girls' bathroom. The only things left were the kitchen floor and dusting. But I noticed that Lance disappeared! Well, he went down to the basement and halted the operation. Oh I huffed and puffed and made sure he heard me, but these things had to get finished. Have you ever thought of a whole conversation or of just the right quip over and over in your mind, figuring out just what to say to stick it to your spouse? Maybe it's just me. But then I had it! So I opened the basement door for what was probably the second or third time, after reminding him that I like to get things finished, and him saying he did enough and is done, and I said, "You should start a husband's union. You decide that you've done enough, and that's it, no matter what work is left." Now, I am not anti-union. My step-mom works for one, and in some instances they are great protection for employees. But I have also seen the flip side of laziness because people can't get fired. Some other background is that we always see Dollar Tree labor protestors on the corners, and Lance always says "We're not going to stop shopping at Dollar Tree because they're standing on the corner." LOL So I thought this union comment would really irritate him. Well did my complaining get him upstairs to help? Wives you know the answer, of course not! He was cranky the rest of the day because I had been nagging him.

Sarcasm is second-nature to me, but is so destructive. What a test of my will and hard-headedness. I realized that he does a lot more day to day than a lot of husbands, but I was spoiled. Not that I want to him to stop doing all of these things, but wow how I don't appreciate what he does do.

I love you Lance and am SO grateful for all that you do for our family above and beyond your call to duty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment