Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Always the last to go...

Yesterday I went to the gym for the first time in 5 months. I had made an attempt at 6 weeks postpartum, but was dizzy, sore and not ready at all. And that was my first workout since about 6 weeks pregnant :) I've been putting it off, and nursing is the only thing that has helped take some of my pregnancy weight off. I've been so unmotivated to workout that I even saw BED leg lifts that you can do for your abs but haven't yet. At this point, my hips have closed up to normal position, the cellulite under my arms is redistributing, and the last time I checked I was about 10 pounds to my prepregnancy weight and about 20 pounds to my wedding weight. Anyway, I can fit into most of my regular underwear, so that was an accomplishment in itself. I have a whole bin of clothes in the basement that I revisit every couple weeks to see how I'm doing on my own. Well, needless to say, now that Jared is eating less often and started cereal, I've hit a wall. No significant gain that I've noticed but not losing anything either. But my biggest problem area is my belly right now, as Jenna innocently pointed out the other day in asking, "Why do you have such a big belly?" I also love as I'm bending down to get the kids bath ready, "Mommy's butt is big." Nice.

Ever since I've lived on my own and even had to care about my weight (post 21 or so) I refused to purchase a scale. The only time I weigh myself is...well, at my doctor's office, my sister's house in Virginia, maybe the gym if I'm brave, but again I haven't been there in 5 months, and the last time was a few weeks ago at the one in the mall bathroom. But I was PMSing and bloated, so I gave myself a 2 pound window. To me, if I know I'm eating well, besides the occasional McArthur's fruit tart and Schnucks fall cookies, I try not to stress about my diet. I pretty much eat what and when the kids do because I incorporate food groups, portion control and try to make good decisions for them. Not to mention Lance has been working out consistently since I met him, so I want to keep him looking good :) But all this is more than I would say for myself if it were just me I was cooking for.

I briefly celebrated when I could squeeze into some old jeans without looking like a spilled over bowl of risen dough, but that didn't last long. Belly fat is one of the biggest problem areas for men and women, and I personally am tired of lifting my crease to wash in the shower or it protruding underneath my waistline. You other moms might know what I'm talking about. Growing up with a personal trainer in the house, and also thankful my dad never nagged me about my ups and downs with my weight, I've always known what I need to do, it was just a matter of getting up and doing it. At home workouts don't work for me, unless I had a treadmill where I could watch tv. That's about all I would do at home. There's something about getting out of the house and doing something for myself that is such a much needed change of pace from my day-to-day. So I bit the bullet and went to the gym. A part of me felt back at home, some normalcy, my old self. I am a wife and mother and consider myself extremely blessed by and in having my family, but for an hour and a half I was just Carrie, and it was nice. While my legs are sore and calves are tight today I already feel better. Now just to keep it up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment