Friday, July 8, 2011

Adventures in Partying

Wow. It's been a long day but also fun because I am anxiously awaiting Jenna's 5th Birthday surprise party tomorrow! Last night I went and got my hair done, and then I was planning on running errands for party prep. afterward. Unfortunately while I was at the salon a monsoon came through. With a trash bag over my newly highlighted and straightened hair, I made my way to the car and then drove 40 mph on the Interstate home. I knew it would be a long day ahead today since it started with Jenna throwing a fit about what shoes she wanted to wear to take her birthday pictures at JC Penney (LOVE their coupons btw). Of course she wanted to wear the ones that didn't match her dress whatsoever, and I had to resort to pulling the car out of the garage without her to make her hurry up and change them herself. By the time we got their the pink cheeks and tears had subsided, and she got some cute pictures in the end. She got to choose what we had for breakfast (waffles and yogurt) and where we got lunch after pictures (McDonalds). By the time lunch was over we were all due for a good nap. Success! Ava was my alarm clock at 3:30, we were expecting Lance home around 4, then we all ventured out to Red Robin for Jenna's birthday dinner. Jenna took a great nap and was the last one up before we left. This time she did get to choose the clunky purple crocs to wear with her dress :) We had a pretty good dinner, which including the waitresses singing to Jenna with her sundae, and Red Robin balloons that Ava managed to let go while getting strapped into her car seat, and Jenna let hers go in Target after that. Since I wouldn't be able to run my errands and conceal any party things during the day with all the kids, I had to manage while we were all together tonight. So I dropped Lance, Jenna and Jared off at Target to get a new movie, and I took Ava to Party City.

Now, Ava is very conversational, so I knew better than to even mention the words "Jenna" and "party" to her, or she would give it away in a second. So I told her we were getting birthday stuff for Jenna. Jenna has mentioned a party over the last couple weeks, and she is very inquisitive. I think she's on to me. The idea of a surprise party came from her MONTHS ago, so I tucked it away never to be mentioned again. One night last week she said, "For my birthday I want to go in my room when my friends come, and then I'll come out, and they can yell 'Surprise!'" I said next to nothing in response. Today I really tried to play up that our going to get pictures taken, going out to dinner and getting a balloon were our celebration of her birthday. And then tonight as the sun was setting, and clearly the day was done, she says with a sad voice, "When are my friends going to come for my birthday?" Just rip my heart out why don't you. Well, after I took Ava to Party City, I met back up with Lance, ran into Target to get a few other things, and Jenna asks, "What store did you go to?" Me: "It's a supply store." Jenna: "Yeah, but what's the name of it?" Me: "I just had to get cups n'stuff." Plus, Lance plopped Jared's stroller on top of the bag with the party stuff, including the pinata. I made a comment about it, which of course prompted Jenna to turn around and look in the back of the van. "Did Daddy get a pinata??!!" I replied, "Turn around" and quickly got in the car. At this point it's about 7:45, Jared's cranky, but we still need to stop at Costco. Yes I am a procrastinator. Again I just took Ava in with me, and when I started loading the van up Jenna noticed the two bowls of fruit salad and asks "Is someone coming over to eat that?" To which I said NOTHING. When we finally got home Jenna asked if she could wear her dress again with her PURPLE shoes when she's 6 and mentioned having a party for her birthday. As far as she knows, her and daddy are having special time to go hang out tomorrow morning while I prepare the house.

I am so glad they are all in bed now. All her questions are wearing me down. How can I feel bad and so gitty at the same time? Heehee. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment