Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Yellow Squash Bread


Kid-tested and approved! My lo thought it was banana bread. The squash in this recipe can be subbed with zucchini, carrot or a banana.

The GF blend that I have says it can be subbed cup for cup in recipes, but I have not found that to be true with my regular recipes. It is a brown rice, arrowroot blend with xantham gum added. From pancakes to corn bread, they come out mushy. For true GF you could try 3/4 cu coconut flour and 3/4 cu almond or similar. You need a little bit of a dryer blend, which is why I used half AP flour. I did a batch of all AP, and it's just more dense. The GF additions usually add moisture and sweetness.

1/4 cu room temp butter (=1/2 stick)
1/4 cu coconut oil (scoop 1-2 Tbs into a microwavable bowl, 30 seconds to melt, then measure)
1 cu light brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp lemon juice or zest (whatever you have on hand)

3/4 cu unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cu gluten-free blend of choice
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1 tsp cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
1 cu grated/shredded yellow squash (=1/2 large squash, so you can double this and make 2 batches!)
1/2 cu nuts of choice (optional)


1. Preheat oven to 350. Use some of the butter to grease a standard loaf pan.

2. Using a mixer (I used a hand mixer) blend the butter, oil, brown sugar, egg and lemon until smooth.

3. Sift in the dry ingredients. I don't have a sifter, so I used a fine mesh drainer, combined it all in there and tapped it into the wet mixture. Mix well.

4. Squeeze and drain the squash in a paper towel. (I scooped some of the seeds out before grating, optional, I just wanted more of the meat).

5. Fold the squash (and nuts) into the batter. It will be thick, you can use a rubber spatula to blend the squash in and spread into the pan.

6. Bake for 45-55 minutes. Start with 45 as mine browned well at that time. Remove and cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.

*It makes a couple slices more than the picture. We ate some before I could plate it!


No comments:

Post a Comment